So you have a slice or a hook shot and you’re looking for a golf ball to help?
In this article Best golf balls to cure a slice? we will share our findings on different types of golf balls so you can make an informed purchase.
The type of golf ball you use can affect the ball flight, trajectory and spin. However, will the type of golf ball you use really be able to stop you slicing the ball?
Golf balls are manufactured with different players in mind, from Tour players to Juniors and seniors.
Will a better golf ball cure a slice?
This is a simple answer to the question, will the type of golf ball I buy cure my slice?
Sorry but no golf ball will cure a slice, We hate to tell you this but it really won’t. The only thing that will cure a slice is a better golf swing available at most golf lessons. Haha
HOWEVER… The correct golf ball for your swing speed and type of shot will help the ball flight, trajectory, and spin.
The best type of golf ball to help me hit the ball straighter
Different type of golf balls will have a different effect on your shot. The balls listed below will give you some idea.
- Two-piece golf ball: A single center core with a tough outer layer envelops a large, solid core. Spin is minimized, delivering maximum distance but also reducing the amount these balls will slice or hook. Less spin = less chance of a slice.
- Three- and four-piece golf ball: Most mid to high priced golf balls feature three or four layers: a very soft cover, one or two intermediate pieces inside the ball, and a solid core. The high spin rates provide excellent greenside control and allow skilled golfers to play shots like draws and fades.
- Five-piece & 6 piece golf ball: Introduced in 2011, the TaylorMade Penta is the first five-layer golf ball. It features similar benefits to the three- and four-piece models. Newer models now boost 6 layers, these balls are very expensive but do perform well at a higher level. However, not really suited to the beginner
HERE ARE THE BEST GOLF BALLS TO HELP CURE A SLICE
- Wilson ultra
- Srixon soft feel ( OUR CHOICE )
- Callaway super soft
- Callaway warbird
- Wilson Staff 2-Piece
- Taylormade burner
Low Spinning balls
Lower spinning golf balls produce less side spin on your shots, causing the ball to fly straighter through the air and roll further once landed and reduce the chance of a slice This type of ball is more suited to golfers who tend to slice the ball and struggle to find distance however they make controlling pitch shots and chip more difficult.
The mid spin golf ball bridges the gap between the low and high spin golf balls and is probably the most common golf ball used. These balls try to incorporate the best from both distance (low spin) golf balls and soft (high spin) golf balls. These balls are aimed at the majority of players male and female and are priced accordingly.
These top of the range balls are designed to create maximum spin the most through the air, creating a longer carry. A high spinning golf ball will not get the run out on the fairway of a low or mid spin ball – but will make up for it around the greens. A high spinning golf ball will give better players more control and feel in, on and around the greens but may increase the chance of a slice or hook for beginners.
Wilson Ultra Lue 15 Golf Balls - White
£11.48 in stock
- Ultra is known as the original distance golf ball
- 2-piece construction optimized for distance
- High compression for maximum durability and long distance
Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls, White, One Dozen (2016 Version)
£18.29 in stock
- Softer, lower compression core - the new soft feel's energetic Gradient growth core is 60 compression, which is 12 points lower than the previous model
- Softer, thinner cover - the Ionomer cover on the new soft feel is 11 percent thinner and 5 percent softer than the previous model, with the softest feel rating tested in the low-compression category
- New aerodynamic speed Dimples design - the new soft feel cover features the 324 speed dimple pattern, which combines greater uniformity of dimple design with better surface coverage
Callaway Supersoft 2019 Golf Ball (12 Ball Pack, White)
£19.99 in stock
- Callaway Supersoft is a long, straight distance ball that's incredibly soft
- An ultra-low compression core promotes fast ball speed and increased accuracy
- New Low-Drag HEX Aerodynamics are optimized to reduce drag and enhance lift for longer carry and longer distance
- New softer Trionomer cover formulation has a low compression for enhanced feel and increased greenside control
Callaway Warbird Golf Balls, Yellow, One Dozen
- Designed for distance; this bird will fly
- High and fast flight: HEX Aerodynamics reduce drag and promote high launch for increased speed, hang-time and distance.
- Long carry and distance: The extra-large high-energy core is highly compressible to unlock more potential distance at any swing speed.
- Great feel and control: Thin, high-sensory ionomer cover works with the core to promote super-satisfying feel off every club.
- x332 Hex pattern aerodynamics to give stable penetrating ball flight.
TaylorMade 2017 Burner Golf Balls Yellow Golf Ball, Yellow (One Dozen)
- This ball is powerful and playable
- Legendary burner distance
- Ball is high-visibility Yellow
Top Tip: Don’t aim left, body position off the tee is critical. Aim right, I know it’s scary but you’ll never overcome your slice aiming left.
If you suffer from a slice or a hook, whether that’s on your drive or iron shot ( Hopefully not on your putting or you’re doing something dramatically wrong!! ) Then seek professional advice from a PGA Pro ( Not your mates).
Improving your swing if fundamental to curing your poor shots and then and only then should you worry about buying equipment to improve your shots. New equipment will help, but it will not fix your swing.
Just buy an inexpensive 2 piece ball and save your money for lessons. Most lessons cost around £30 per lesson and that’s less than a box of TaylorMade TP5 Which you’ll only hit out of bounds or into the water. So don’t bother buying them!!
WHICH BALLS DO WE RECOMMEND? Below are some simple links to balls that suit Beginners, ladies, Juniors and mid-range players.